- When an eight-year-old boy was accused of murdering his father and another man in a small, rural Arizona community, we were asked to work with the community’s Chief of Police and County Attorney’s office to help deal with the overwhelming media attention and develop a web peresence to give media access to public information, balancing the sensitivity of the issue and a judicial gag order.
- Produced training and recruitment video for Point of Dispensing (POD) training for Maricopa County Department of Health Services.
- Worked with Apache County Arizona on media response for the government’s 4-day workweek program.
- Served as press secretary for U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Deputy Administrator and EPA Region 9 Administrator’s fact-finding visits to Nogales, Arizona and Sonora, Mexico. Served as liaison with a U.S. and Mexico media entourage, planned and managed press conferences, guided private interviews and advised administrators.
- Producer for a Phoenix video and film production company specializing in local and network television promotion, as well as commercial and industrial clients.
- Programmed and consulted top-rated radio stations and performed on-air on radio and television. Hired and developed talent, supervised thirty people in a national award winning radio station. Three times nominated radio personality of the year in the U.S. Continues to work as a professional industrial and commercial voiceover talent and on-camera performer. Former member of the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) and American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (AFTRA).
- Worked with the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) Air Quality Division and Vehicle Emissions Inspection Program contractor to develop a public and media campaign for the vehicle inspection program, I/M240. Hired a public relations contractor to develop media kits and public information materials. Hosted media briefings and news conferences and served as the principal spokesperson appearing on dozens of television and radio talk shows. Also worked with contractor Hughes Systems to develop informational materials and serve as the media spokesperson for new Remote Sensing “Smog Dog” program.
- Developed an innovative outreach, media and public service campaign for Tucson, Arizona’s Central Arizona Project (CAP) Use Study for Quality Water. Negotiated public service (free) advertising time on television, cable and radio stations during critical periods of project outreach. Negotiated extensive earned media coverage including a prime-time televised townhall event co-hosted and produced by Tucson’s largest daily newspaper and local NBC affiliate.
- Helped develop a risk and public communication strategy and conducted media training for on-site spokespeople in response to public opposition for a new Motorola facility to be built in Austin, Texas.
- Developed and managed the overall communication strategy and served as principle spokesperson for Motorola Corporation in a $1 billion class action lawsuit alleging personal injury and property damage resulting from environmental contamination.
- Developed marketing and news media relations strategy for the Regional Public Transit Authority’s Clean Air Campaign conducted in the Phoenix metropolitan area. Worked with a variety of key stakeholders including government agencies, media news directors, and the national weather service to develop methods to broadcast air quality information and pollution advisories. Developed news media story ideas and fresh story angles and successfully promoted news coverage coverage, conducted interviews and coached others in interviews, and served as a principle news media source.
- Managed a groundbreaking environmental communication strategy and news media relations program for air quality issues associated with mitigating the negative impacts of hoting the National Football League’s Super Bowl XXX in Phoenix, Arizona. Worked extensively to build consensus among the National Football League, local host committee, vendors and a variety of local, state and federal authorities. Worked extensively with local, national and international news media to earn story coverage and successfully promote environmental efforts of the NFL and the community.
- Co-chaired a unique committee comprised of public affairs professionals from numerous public and private organizations to influence public and political opinion prior to an Arizona Legislative special session dealing with Phoenix metropolitan area air quality. Secured extensive media coverage of the health, social and economic implications of the issue and served as a principle news media spokesperson. Arizona’s Governor and other elected officials credited the effort for increasing public understanding, and being instrumental in the resulting positive legislative action.
- Served as liaison for ADEQ to the Regional Public Transportation Authority (RPTA) on Clean Air and Rideshare public service and media awareness campaigns for the Phoenix metropolitan area. Helped coordinate multi-agency efforts and worked with a local advertising/public relations contractor to develop creative, plan media and execute the annual campaign.
- Worked with Maricopa County, Arizona to develop and implement public information and media components of mandatory “no burn” fireplace restrictions. Proposed and developed two pollution alert criteria, devised media alert system notice plans, served as spokesperson, and increased media interest and exposure over.
- Served as spokesperson and produced public informational materials in response to organized opposition to an air quality permit granted to the developer of a proposed oil refinery near Mobile, Arizona. Granted interviews, guested on radio talk shows and attended public meetings discussing the facts, science and legalities of the issue.
- During college, was once listed by the Guinness Book of World Records as having ridden more laps around the inside of a radio station newsroom on a 10-speed bicycle. (Beer was involved and it seemed like a good idea at the time.)
Leave a Reply